Do you need to blog? In this episode, host Julie Hood introduces you to some of the basics of search engine optimization and blogging to find and connect with your perfect students.
Is Your Course Idea Any Good? Sign up for the FREE mini-course… Is My Course Idea Any Good? here:
To look for keywords in your specific topic area, go to:
For Neil Patel’s 7-week SEO action plan:
The Moz.com 4-page SEO Quick Start Guide:
Consider using ChatGPT for ideas & inspiration (but don’t only copy – add your own stories and insights, plus verify anything it gives you):
KEY TAKEAWAYS FOR ONLINE COURSE CREATORS
Blogging is a long-term strategy and best done when it is combined with Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Remember: The goal of search engines (like Google and Bing) is to give you the best answer, as quickly as possible. As a content creator, you want to make sure your content fits that goal.
SEO is not a quick strategy – it can take as long as 6-18 months to start seeing results.
There is a LOT to doing this well. Make sure you are using current techniques because there is so much old information out there that doesn’t work anymore.
Basics of SEO – to show up when people are searching in search engines:
- Use the best phrases that people are most likely to type into the search engines (keyword optimized)
- Get links to your content (people like it, share it, read/listen/watch it)
- Really great content that the search engines can find – and that gives the answer to what a searcher is looking for
- Technical setup (gets into how you actually configure your blog posts to signal the search engines about what is important)
Tech for Blogging –
- WordPress.org – the original tool for blogging. Make sure you get “managed WordPress hosting”.
- Kajabi – Includes blogging with your website, course hosting, email and funnel building. Get a 30 day trial (instead of the standard 14 day trial here: https://CourseCreatorsHQ.com/KajabiSignup)
- Substack – https://coursecreatorshq.com/substack
- LinkedIn – also lets you post articles/blog posts
- Typeshare – new tool I’m exploring – https://coursecreatorshq.com/typeshare
Get started by finding some keywords and phrases at UberSuggest.
Download your FREE Ultimate Course Creators Planner – https://coursecreatorshq.com/2023planner
Sign up for my email list and get this free course Is My Course Idea Any Good? here.
Let’s talk about this episode on GoodPods – https://CourseCreatorsHQ.com/goodpods (mobile only, download the app first)